Los Angeles News
Paramount deputy-involved shooting kills suspect
PARAMOUNT, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A deputy-involved shooting in Paramount left one suspect dead Monday night. A Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy trainee was injured.
Sheriff's homicide detectives were called to the Americana Mobile Home Park on the 16600 block of Downey Avenue in Paramount at about 7:40 p.m. Monday.
Neighbors say it all started with a disturbance that quickly turned violent between a 27-year-old man and his grandfather.
The grandparents called 911. When deputies arrived, the man said he wasn't going back to jail and started fighting with them. Deputies say he even tried to get their gun at one point.
"During the fight, this individual tried to choke out the deputy, struck the deputy and he tried to get the deputy's gun," said Lt. John Corina of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. "Sometime during that fight, the struggle over the deputy's gun, that's when the deputy shot this individual."
The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. The deputy, who was not struck by gunfire, was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The incident remained under investigation.
deputy-involved shooting, shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, south los angeles, los angeles news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather 55 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)