Los Angeles News
Paramount deputy-involved shooting kills suspect
PARAMOUNT, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A deputy-involved shooting in Paramount left one suspect dead Monday night. A Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy trainee was injured.
Sheriff's homicide detectives were called to the Americana Mobile Home Park on the 16600 block of Downey Avenue in Paramount at about 7:40 p.m. Monday.
Neighbors say it all started with a disturbance that quickly turned violent between a 27-year-old man and his grandfather.
The grandparents called 911. When deputies arrived, the man said he wasn't going back to jail and started fighting with them. Deputies say he even tried to get their gun at one point.
"During the fight, this individual tried to choke out the deputy, struck the deputy and he tried to get the deputy's gun," said Lt. John Corina of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. "Sometime during that fight, the struggle over the deputy's gun, that's when the deputy shot this individual."
The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. The deputy, who was not struck by gunfire, was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The incident remained under investigation.
deputy-involved shooting, shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, south los angeles, los angeles news
- Tornadoes strike Midwest; storms to persist 23 min ago
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 13 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti meet with LA churchgoers
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- 2 FBI agents killed in Va. training accident
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff 7 min ago
- Yahoo buys Tumblr in $1.1 billion deal 18 min ago
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested