Los Angeles News
Santa Monica thieves snag $10M in luxury loot
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- The search is on for suspects behind a $10 million heist in Santa Monica, and the victim hopes a reward will help track down the thieves.
A home on the 500 block of 12th Street was burglarized last week. When the victim returned home, pieces of rare art, most of them high-end paintings, bottles of wine and a red 2010 Porsche Carrera S4 were gone. The suspects also took off with cash and expensive watches made by Patek Philippe, Breitling, TAG Heuer, Glashutte and A. Lange & Sohne.
Police say the haul is worth more than $10 million. The victim, who wished to remain anonymous, says the lost art is the real tragedy. More than a dozen pieces of artwork were stolen, including works by Piet Mondrian, Jasper Johns and California impressionist Guy Rose. He is offering a $200,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest and return of the stolen property.
"It was my great hope that other people could enjoy these artworks. I was already working on donating them to museums and it's just so sad that it would be possible that these would disappear essentially from the face of the earth, which could be the case based upon the thefts that happened last week," said the victim, who is a multi-millionaire financier. He said he was on vacation at the time of the incident.
Officials say the theft occurred sometime between 3 p.m. Sept. 12 and 8 p.m. Sept 13. Police do not believe it was a random crime. If you have any information on the heist, you're urged to call Santa Monica Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS or (800) 222-8477.
santa monica, burglary, los angeles news, q mccray
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 22 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing 16 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 36 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
44 min ago