Los Angeles News
Learning-disabled teen gunned down in South LA park
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A learning-disabled teenager was shot dead as he sat on a park bench in South Los Angeles on Tuesday afternoon. Detectives said a suspect ran up, opened fire with a handgun and then fled in a car.
The shooting happened around 3 p.m. in the park next to the Jackie Tatum / Harvard Recreation Center. Patrick Caruthers, 19, was sitting at a picnic table with his headphones on when a dark-colored sedan pulled up. One suspect got out and opened fire on Caruthers, hitting him multiple times.
"He was sitting right there listening to his music," said Caruthers' friend, Semaj Smith. "Stupid drive-by, and it's not fair."
Caruthers died at the scene. Police said Caruthers had no gang ties.
"Not gang related at all," said Los Angeles Police Det. Chris Barling. "Clearly, we believe the suspects, based on their actions, were gang members. Unfortunately, that neighborhood is comprised of different black and Hispanic gangs."
Smith said she doesn't understand why Caruthers was targeted. Caruthers was well-known in the neighborhood and volunteered at the park and the city's Summer Night Lights program.
"He wasn't affiliated in anything but church and the kids in this park. He loved the kids in this park," she said.
Friends said Caruthers never let his learning disability stop him and was proud to be attending Los Angeles Trade Technical College.
Investigators said the park was full of people and full of potential witnesses who could help them catch the killer.
"We're hoping somebody saw more than what information we have now that can help us solve this case," Barling said. "We don't solve these cases without the community's help, so we're really looking for people to step up and try to help us."
Anyone with information on the case was asked to call the LAPD at (877) 527-3247.
shooting, south los angeles, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 23 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust 30 min ago
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere