Los Angeles News
Woodland Hills SUV crash kills 2 adults, critically injures 2 children; speed a primary factor
WOODLAND HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man and woman were killed and two girls, ages 8 and 14, were hospitalized in critical condition after their Toyota Rav 4 crashed into a parked car and rolled over Wednesday in Woodland Hills.
The tragic accident occurred around 10:50 a.m. when the driver sped through the 20400 block of West Califa Street, ran a stop sign and lost control of the SUV between Oso and Keokuk avenues.
According to witnesses, after the Rav 4 ran the stop sign, the driver swerved to miss another car, flipped over and slammed into a parked Ford F-150 pickup truck.
The two adults were pronounced dead at the scene, and the young girls were taken to Northridge Hospital Medical Center where they are listed in critical condition.
"Speed is the primary factor in this," said LAPD Capt. Jeff Bert of the Valley Traffic Division. "You couldn't have flipped a car without going a significant rate of speed."
"It's frightening to see the danger that happened here, that car could have easily launched into a household and killed somebody that was sleeping inside," said Andrea Weston of Woodland Hills.
According to Valley Traffic police, there have been nearly 40 traffic deaths throughout the San Fernando Valley in 2012 alone. Authorities say this number is already slightly higher than the number of people killed in car accidents in 2011.
Consequently, San Fernando Valley authorities are urging drivers to slow down.
"The San Fernando Valley has big wide open streets and tons of drivers, it's speed and drinking that kills," said Bert. "While there's no indication there was drinking involved, this is a speed incident."
san fernando valley, accident, car crash, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks