Los Angeles News
Pacific Palisades remains identified as missing UCLA student
PACIFIC PALISADES, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Human remains found near a trail in Pacific Palisades have been identified as a 22-year-old missing UCLA student.
Authorities were called to the area near the Los Liones Canyon trail in the 500 block of Los Liones Drive Saturday after two hikers saw what looked like a human skull. Officers searched the area and found skeletal remains of a human torso about 20 feet from the skull.
The L.A. County Coroner's Office confirmed on Wednesday that the body was David Goeser, who had been missing since July. Goeser's car was found near the Los Liones Cayon trailhead in Topanga State Park that month, but the honors student hadn't been seen since.
The coroner said the apparent cause of death was a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police say a semiautomatic pistol was found next to the body.
"After a year of struggling with severe depression, David took his own life," his family said in a statement. "We are ever grateful to law enforcement who worked tirelessly in searching for David. We would also like to thank all the thousands of volunteers who helped in the search for our son."
The family said there will be a memorial service open to the public at Calvary Community Church in Westlake Village on Oct. 6 at 2 p.m. Additional details will be released on the Find David Goeser Facebook page.
body part found, missing person, los angeles news
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 57 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants