Los Angeles News
Mom arrested for leaving 1-year-old in hot car in North Hollywood
NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A mother was arrested for leaving her 1-year-old daughter inside a hot car at a North Hollywood parking lot on Monday.
Police say they responded to a Ralphs grocery store parking lot on Magnolia Boulevard at about 1:30 p.m. when someone called to report the girl alone inside a car that was parked in a red zone.
The car was unlocked and running, police said, but the air conditioning was broken and only blowing out hot air. Officers say when they removed the girl from the car, she was sweating profusely.
With the temperature over 100 degrees, authorities rushed the girl to a local hospital to be checked out. The girl was determined to be in good condition and was turned over to protective custody.
Police say the baby was only inside the vehicle for about 10 minutes. According to witnesses, the 26-year-old mother came out once to check on her daughter, then went back into the store.
Investigators say she didn't have a good reason for leaving her child in the car, only saying she had to run into the store to grab a few things. Police have also taken the girl's older brother, who is in elementary school, into protective custody because of concerns they found at the house.
arrest, children's health, north hollywood, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers 3 min ago
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die 40 min ago
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker