Los Angeles News
El Monte City Council to vote on rehiring 'Gangnam Style' lifeguards
EL MONTE, Calif. (KABC) -- A group of El Monte lifeguards fired for spoofing a popular Korean music video has a shot at getting their jobs back.
Their video was posted on YouTube.com. It depicts them performing a spoof of "Gangnam Style," a popular song and music video by Korean pop artist Psy. Their video is called "Lifeguard Style."
The 13 lifeguards and their manager were fired last month for wearing their uniforms and using the city's aquatic center without authorization to shoot the video. The firing sparked outrage in the community. A recent city council meeting was packed with people supporting the terminated lifeguards.
El Monte Mayor Andre Quintero says there's a formal vote scheduled for October 17 to decide whether to re-hire the lifeguards. Quintero said he would urge the city council to hire the 13 lifeguards.
los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
5 min ago