Los Angeles News
El Monte City Council to vote on rehiring 'Gangnam Style' lifeguards
EL MONTE, Calif. (KABC) -- A group of El Monte lifeguards fired for spoofing a popular Korean music video has a shot at getting their jobs back.
Their video was posted on YouTube.com. It depicts them performing a spoof of "Gangnam Style," a popular song and music video by Korean pop artist Psy. Their video is called "Lifeguard Style."
The 13 lifeguards and their manager were fired last month for wearing their uniforms and using the city's aquatic center without authorization to shoot the video. The firing sparked outrage in the community. A recent city council meeting was packed with people supporting the terminated lifeguards.
El Monte Mayor Andre Quintero says there's a formal vote scheduled for October 17 to decide whether to re-hire the lifeguards. Quintero said he would urge the city council to hire the 13 lifeguards.
los angeles news
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised