Los Angeles News
El Monte City Council to vote on rehiring 'Gangnam Style' lifeguards
EL MONTE, Calif. (KABC) -- A group of El Monte lifeguards fired for spoofing a popular Korean music video has a shot at getting their jobs back.
Their video was posted on YouTube.com. It depicts them performing a spoof of "Gangnam Style," a popular song and music video by Korean pop artist Psy. Their video is called "Lifeguard Style."
The 13 lifeguards and their manager were fired last month for wearing their uniforms and using the city's aquatic center without authorization to shoot the video. The firing sparked outrage in the community. A recent city council meeting was packed with people supporting the terminated lifeguards.
El Monte Mayor Andre Quintero says there's a formal vote scheduled for October 17 to decide whether to re-hire the lifeguards. Quintero said he would urge the city council to hire the 13 lifeguards.
los angeles news
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- East LA coach charged with molesting 2 teens
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut