Los Angeles News
Chelsea Clinton visits Rio Hondo Elementary to recognize health efforts
ARCADIA, Calif. (KABC) -- Chelsea Clinton helped honor a school in Arcadia Monday for its efforts to end childhood obesity.
Rio Hondo Elementary School is enrolled in the Alliance for a Healthier Generation's Healthy Schools Program. The school received the Gold Award Friday for its healthy standards.
"Five years ago my father was here to recognize one of the schools nearby that won the Silver Award. Now that's a big deal. But winning the Gold Award is even a bigger deal," said Clinton. "There are only two other schools in the whole country that are as healthy as you are. That's pretty exciting."
The Healthy Schools Program is composed of more than 15,000 schools across the country.
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation's Healthy Schools Program was founded in part by the William J. Clinton Foundation. Chelsea Clinton is on the board of directors.
health, fitness, education, los angeles news
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 14 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 53 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- LA launches campaign to shut illegal pot...
33 min ago