Los Angeles News
Sylmar burglar nabbed with help of GPS bracelet
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 48-year-old registered sex offender was busted for a burglary in Sylmar. Police say his ankle bracelet gave him away.
Wilbert Matheney is accused of sneaking into a home on the 13400 block of Bradley Avenue on Aug. 30. After confronting a 48-year-old woman, he fled with a computer. Because he is a sex offender, Matheney is required to wear a GPS monitoring device.
Working on a tip, police checked his GPS data and determined he was inside the woman's home at the time of the burglary.
"Lo and behold, the GPS tracker put Matheny in the victim's home on the date and at the time of the burglary," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon in a statement.
Matheny was arrested on Thursday and booked for residential burglary. He is being held without bail.
arrest, burglary, los angeles news
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments