Los Angeles News
Sylmar burglar nabbed with help of GPS bracelet
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 48-year-old registered sex offender was busted for a burglary in Sylmar. Police say his ankle bracelet gave him away.
Wilbert Matheney is accused of sneaking into a home on the 13400 block of Bradley Avenue on Aug. 30. After confronting a 48-year-old woman, he fled with a computer. Because he is a sex offender, Matheney is required to wear a GPS monitoring device.
Working on a tip, police checked his GPS data and determined he was inside the woman's home at the time of the burglary.
"Lo and behold, the GPS tracker put Matheny in the victim's home on the date and at the time of the burglary," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon in a statement.
Matheny was arrested on Thursday and booked for residential burglary. He is being held without bail.
arrest, burglary, los angeles news
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 2 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds