Los Angeles News
Sylmar burglar nabbed with help of GPS bracelet
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 48-year-old registered sex offender was busted for a burglary in Sylmar. Police say his ankle bracelet gave him away.
Wilbert Matheney is accused of sneaking into a home on the 13400 block of Bradley Avenue on Aug. 30. After confronting a 48-year-old woman, he fled with a computer. Because he is a sex offender, Matheney is required to wear a GPS monitoring device.
Working on a tip, police checked his GPS data and determined he was inside the woman's home at the time of the burglary.
"Lo and behold, the GPS tracker put Matheny in the victim's home on the date and at the time of the burglary," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon in a statement.
Matheny was arrested on Thursday and booked for residential burglary. He is being held without bail.
arrest, burglary, los angeles news
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race 6 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video