Los Angeles News
Sylmar burglar nabbed with help of GPS bracelet
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 48-year-old registered sex offender was busted for a burglary in Sylmar. Police say his ankle bracelet gave him away.
Wilbert Matheney is accused of sneaking into a home on the 13400 block of Bradley Avenue on Aug. 30. After confronting a 48-year-old woman, he fled with a computer. Because he is a sex offender, Matheney is required to wear a GPS monitoring device.
Working on a tip, police checked his GPS data and determined he was inside the woman's home at the time of the burglary.
"Lo and behold, the GPS tracker put Matheny in the victim's home on the date and at the time of the burglary," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon in a statement.
Matheny was arrested on Thursday and booked for residential burglary. He is being held without bail.
arrest, burglary, los angeles news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 40 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon 50 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes 10 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...