Los Angeles News
Sylmar burglar nabbed with help of GPS bracelet
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 48-year-old registered sex offender was busted for a burglary in Sylmar. Police say his ankle bracelet gave him away.
Wilbert Matheney is accused of sneaking into a home on the 13400 block of Bradley Avenue on Aug. 30. After confronting a 48-year-old woman, he fled with a computer. Because he is a sex offender, Matheney is required to wear a GPS monitoring device.
Working on a tip, police checked his GPS data and determined he was inside the woman's home at the time of the burglary.
"Lo and behold, the GPS tracker put Matheny in the victim's home on the date and at the time of the burglary," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon in a statement.
Matheny was arrested on Thursday and booked for residential burglary. He is being held without bail.
arrest, burglary, los angeles news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis