Los Angeles News
Car thief drives away w/ 2-year-old in backseat in Lawndale
LAWNDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A 21-year-old man was arrested Tuesday on kidnapping and grand theft auto charges after he stole a pickup truck in Lawndale with a 2-year-old boy in the back seat.
The incident occurred outside the victim's apartment near 173rd Street and Grevillea Avenue around 2:48 p.m.
According to Sgt. Paul Schuerger of the Los Angeles County sheriff's South Los Angeles Station, the boy's father buckled his son in his car seat and returned to his apartment to get a diaper bag he had forgotten. When he returned, he saw the suspect, later identified as Christopher Smith of Inglewood, driving away with his pick-up truck and son which prompted him to call authorities.
"I when to take a peak to make sure she was grabbing his diaper bag and by the time I got to the top of the stairs, I heard the car door slam and the car pin it west bound down the street," said the 2-year-old's father who didn't want to be identified.
In a matter of minutes, deputies located the truck down the block in the area of 168th Street and Hawthorne Boulevard.
Smith was arrested on kidnapping and grand theft auto charges and jailed at the South Los Angeles Station on $135,000 bail.
The toddler was a little shaken up but unharmed.
los angeles county sheriff's department, arrest, burglary, kidnap, los angeles news
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP 39 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement 33 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes 29 min ago
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown 57 min ago
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present