Los Angeles News
Car thief drives away w/ 2-year-old in backseat in Lawndale
LAWNDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A 21-year-old man was arrested Tuesday on kidnapping and grand theft auto charges after he stole a pickup truck in Lawndale with a 2-year-old boy in the back seat.
The incident occurred outside the victim's apartment near 173rd Street and Grevillea Avenue around 2:48 p.m.
According to Sgt. Paul Schuerger of the Los Angeles County sheriff's South Los Angeles Station, the boy's father buckled his son in his car seat and returned to his apartment to get a diaper bag he had forgotten. When he returned, he saw the suspect, later identified as Christopher Smith of Inglewood, driving away with his pick-up truck and son which prompted him to call authorities.
"I when to take a peak to make sure she was grabbing his diaper bag and by the time I got to the top of the stairs, I heard the car door slam and the car pin it west bound down the street," said the 2-year-old's father who didn't want to be identified.
In a matter of minutes, deputies located the truck down the block in the area of 168th Street and Hawthorne Boulevard.
Smith was arrested on kidnapping and grand theft auto charges and jailed at the South Los Angeles Station on $135,000 bail.
The toddler was a little shaken up but unharmed.
los angeles county sheriff's department, arrest, burglary, kidnap, los angeles news
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 56 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 35 min ago
- Missing flight's last words were routine
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine 28 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer won't seek third term 29 min ago
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons