Los Angeles News
Man sentenced to 25 years for shooting lapd helicopter
VAN NUYS, Calif. (KABC) -- A teenager who admitted to shooting a Los Angeles police helicopter in 2011 was sentenced to 25 years in prison Wednesday.
Danny Anthony Lopez, 20, was sentenced by Superior Court Judge Martin Herscovitz to 25 years after he pleaded no contest to two counts of assault on a peace officer with a semiautomatic firearm at Van Nuys Superior Court in August.
On April 24, 2011, Lopez fired a semiautomatic rifle at a police chopper around 6 a.m. near Saticoy Street and Densmore Avenue, hitting it and forcing the pilots to make an emergency landing. He was 18 at the time of the incident.
His former charges of shooting at an occupied aircraft and one count of carrying a loaded firearm in a street gang with the allegation that he personally discharged a firearm were dismissed in exchange for his plea.
lapd, shooting, sentencing, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 56 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 25 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour