Los Angeles News
Westlake District gunman wounds undercover narcotics cop
LOS ANGELES -- An undercover police officer was shot in the Westlake District early Thursday morning, and the gunman is on the run.
Authorities say someone shot at the officer's unmarked vehicle at about 3 a.m. on the 400 block of Virgil Avenue. The bullet penetrated the driver's side door and grazed the officer in the leg. He was treated at the scene and released.
Officials say the injured officer and a colleague were conducting a narcotics investigation at the time of the incident. They were driving in the area when an another vehicle pulled alongside them, firing off a round into the officers' car.
Police were actively searching the area for the gunman by ground patrol as well as helicopters. As of about noon, several blocks of Virgil Avenue remained blocked off for police investigation.
Now, the search is on for one or possibly two suspects who abandoned their vehicle and fled on foot shortly after the shooting. Police didn't have a specific description of the suspects, except that they were Hispanic males. The car they left behind was a tan colored SUV.
A number of people have been taken into custody for questioning, and a home near where the suspect vehicle was abandoned was being searched.
shooting, los angeles news, john gregory
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate