Los Angeles News
Long Beach soldier killed in Afghanistan
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A U.S. soldier, from Long Beach, Calif. was reported killed in combat on his fourth deployment to Afghanistan Sunday.
The U.S. Department of Defense announced Sgt. Thomas R. MacPherson, 26, died from small arms fire while on patrol during combat operations on Friday.
On his fourth deployment to Afghanistan, MacPherson was serving as a mortarman and team leader in the Andar district. The Los Alamitos High School graduate had previously served in Iraq shortly after enlisting in the Army in 2007.
MacPherson was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command.
afghanistan war, los angeles news
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained 11 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)