Los Angeles News
Long Beach soldier killed in Afghanistan
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A U.S. soldier, from Long Beach, Calif. was reported killed in combat on his fourth deployment to Afghanistan Sunday.
The U.S. Department of Defense announced Sgt. Thomas R. MacPherson, 26, died from small arms fire while on patrol during combat operations on Friday.
On his fourth deployment to Afghanistan, MacPherson was serving as a mortarman and team leader in the Andar district. The Los Alamitos High School graduate had previously served in Iraq shortly after enlisting in the Army in 2007.
MacPherson was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command.
afghanistan war, los angeles news
- Bell corruption trial: Jury reaches verdict 3 min ago
- Charges announced against sheriff's officials
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death 29 min ago
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank 57 min ago
- Pomona gang member arrested for murder
- Man arrested for Ventura transient's murder
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- Leighton Meester to make Broadway debut
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke