Los Angeles News
Long Beach soldier killed in Afghanistan
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A U.S. soldier, from Long Beach, Calif. was reported killed in combat on his fourth deployment to Afghanistan Sunday.
The U.S. Department of Defense announced Sgt. Thomas R. MacPherson, 26, died from small arms fire while on patrol during combat operations on Friday.
On his fourth deployment to Afghanistan, MacPherson was serving as a mortarman and team leader in the Andar district. The Los Alamitos High School graduate had previously served in Iraq shortly after enlisting in the Army in 2007.
MacPherson was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command.
afghanistan war, los angeles news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks