Los Angeles News
2013 Rose Queen announced in Pasadena
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- There was lots of excitement in Pasadena Tuesday as the Tournament of Roses announced the new 2013 Rose Queen.
Vanessa Natalie Manjarrez, a 17-year-old student at Mayfield Senior School in Pasadena, is the 95th Rose Queen.
This year's court was selected from nearly a thousand participants over month-long tryouts.
"I'm so honored and so thankful and gracious to be here, and I'm so excited," said Manjarrez. "It was something that all my friends and I were excited to do and we wanted to come and do it together. It's just been a crazy ride and it's been so much fun."
Queen Vanessa will receive her crown at the official coronation ceremony on October 25. She and her court will preside over 150 events leading up to the 124th Tournament of Roses Parade on New Year's Day.
pasadena, rose bowl, rose parade, los angeles news
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director 53 min ago
- Vehicle slams into tree, erupts in flames
- Hostilities erupt in Michael Jackson trial
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- OC man convicted of estranged wife's shooting
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- San Jose sues MLB for stalling A's move
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds
- abcnews: $65K reward in '08 Times Square bombing
- Zimmerman attorneys pick 40 potential jurors 39 min ago
- Afghanistan gov. takes over its armed forces
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- OTRC: Katy Perry: Russell Brand texted divorce plan