Los Angeles News
American adults' cholesterol levels improve
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- We all know we need to lower our bad cholesterol and raise our good numbers. High cholesterol is a risk factor for coronary heart disease. So are Americans doing a good job? It appears many of us are making favorable progress.
Americans can take heart. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that as a nation, we're getting our cholesterol under control.
Researchers examined cholesterol trends in adults over the last 22 years.
"There was progress both for men and for women and for all race ethnicity groups," said Margaret D. Carroll, one of the CDC study's authors. "Total cholesterol declined in all adults, in men and in women."
Average total cholesterol levels decreased from 206 in the first study period to 196 in the most recent study period.
"We found that the bad cholesterol also declined and that the good cholesterol increased," said Carroll.
LDL levels declined from 129 to 116 and HDL levels increased from more than 50 to just over 52.
"The increase in the good cholesterol is probably due in part to decreasing smoking rates," said Carroll. "The decrease in the bad cholesterol is due in part to the decrease in the intake of trans-fatty acids, and also to the increase in cholesterol lowering medications."
While researchers also find more people are taking cholesterol-lowering medications, those who did not also saw favorable changes in their cholesterol numbers.
And good news on triglycerides: Those levels also appeared to drop during the third reporting period. Researchers say they'd like to study how trans-fatty acids, cholesterol-lowering medications and healthy lifestyle together have an effect on cholesterol numbers.
health, scientific study, centers for disease control and prevention, los angeles news, denise dador
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 41 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Missing flight's last words were routine
- Man hugged, then grabbed butt of CSUN woman 9 min ago
- Torrance attempted burglary suspect sought 10 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer won't seek third term
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- 2-year-old found with heroin in New Jersey 15 min ago
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons