Los Angeles News
Deputy shoots, kills inmate inside Inglewood hospital emergency room
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy opened fire inside a hospital emergency room in Inglewood early Thursday morning, striking and killing a suspect.
The incident happened around 1 a.m. at Centinela Hospital Medical Center. No deputies were injured.
Family members identified the victim as Gilbert "Tito" Gutierrez of Compton. According to investigators, the suspect had been arrested Wednesday afternoon for possession of a controlled substance. They said he developed a medical issue while he was at the South Los Angeles Station jail. He was transported to Centinela Hospital's emergency room.
While at the hospital, 27-year-old Gutierrez allegedly grabbed a deputy's gun from a holster, prompting the shooting, officials said. The inmate was in a triage room and had one hand handcuffed to a hospital bed and one hand free, allowing him to grab the gun. The suspect did not fire the weapon. The sheriff's department said no one else was in the exmaination room at the time.
There were several people inside the emergency room at the time of the shooting, but no one else was injured.
Witnesses described the scene as intense and chaotic.
"Next thing you know, it was like real loud, 'bang!' I get behind the wall. One of the nurses came out and was telling us to get behind the wall," said one witness.
Gutierrez's cousin said he had been suffering from depression.
"I just saw him two days ago. He told me, 'I don't feel good, I feel like a I have a lot of problems.' He was stressed out," she said.
The emergency room remained open to walk-in patients during the investigation. Ambulance traffic was diverted to other local hospitals.
deputy-involved shooting, los angeles news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95 40 min ago
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk 13 min ago
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD 12 min ago
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 36 min ago
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate