Los Angeles News
Restaurateur accused in 2009 miscarriage out on bail
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A wealthy restaurant owner charged with the attempted murder of his girlfriend's unborn child has been released after posting $4 million bail.
Joshua Woodward was released from a downtown Los Angeles jail on Thursday night. He is accused of giving his then-girlfriend drugs to cause a miscarriage after learning she was pregnant in 2009. She ultimately had a miscarriage.
Woodward has pleaded not guilty to four counts of attempted murder. According to the district attorney's office, he tried to kill "Baby Doe" four times in September and October 2009 using misoprostol, a drug that can terminate early-stage pregnancies.
Prosecutors allege Woodward had begged the woman to terminate her pregnancy, saying it would "ruin his life," but she refused. Forensic analysis of Woodward's computer showed he researched drugs and other ways to cause a miscarriage, prosecutors said.
According to court papers, prosecutors believe Woodward obtained misoprostol on the black market. In one attempt, Woodward allegedly put a pill in a drink that the woman was drinking, and she "became violently ill and suffered from severe nausea and diarrhea," court papers state.
On Oct 25, 2009, Woodward went to his girlfriend's apartment, where he was detained by police. Prosecutors say he tried to discard a baggie containing white powder, which was tested and found to be misoprostol.
Woodward's next court appearance was scheduled for Nov. 29. If convicted, he could face life in prison.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
murder, legal, los angeles news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Hiker becomes ill, dies at Runyon Canyon Park 7 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 55 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 53 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 43 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks