Los Angeles News
LA County Assessor John Noguez gets slight bail reduction
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A judge has agreed to slightly reduce bail for Los Angeles County Assessor John Noguez and tax consultant Ramin Salari, who are accused in a public corruption and bribery scandal.
Noguez and Salari had been held on $1.4 million, but their bail was lowered to $1.16 million. It's still unlikely that they will be released. Noguez's attorney says that's still too high for his client to post.
Last week, the judge refused to lower bail and said the men could not post bail until they could show that the money came from a legal source.
Noguez, who was elected in November 2010, is charged with 24 felony counts and is accused of accepting $185,000 in bribes from Salari. Both are charged with conspiracy and misappropriation of public funds, accused of working out illegal deals to reduce property taxes on property that belonged to Salari's clients in exchange for campaign contributions to Noguez. The men have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
A third defendant in the case, chief appraiser Mark McNeil, was released on bail last week. He has also pleaded not guilty.
District Attorney Steve Cooley says Noguez cost tax payers $1.6 million in what is the largest and most significant corruption case in terms of county government that he has ever seen.
arrest, los angeles news, christina salvo
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault 31 min ago
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders 41 min ago
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- Suspects approach women at UC Riverside dorm
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed 27 min ago
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
2 min ago