Los Angeles News
Couple suspected of attempted murder surrender after 2-hour standoff
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man and his wife were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after the man swung a machete at his brother and barricaded himself inside the couple's South Los Angeles home until early Monday morning.
According to authorities, the incident started as a landlord-tenant dispute between two brothers and their wives at outside an apartment on 57th Street and McKinley Avenue. The argument escalated when Marcos Ayala, 40, swung a machete at his brother, hitting him on the head.
Ayala then grabbed his own wife, identified as 32-year-old Yaysi Martinez, by the hair and pulled her into the apartment, prompting a two-hour standoff.
The suspect's brother suffered a head laceration and was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.
The couple's 7-year-old daughter and 12-year-old son were inside the home during the standoff. They were not hurt and were taken into protective custody after the suspects surrendered without incident shortly after midnight.
arrest, murder, standoff, lapd, los angeles news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts 41 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet 29 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report