Los Angeles News
Couple suspected of attempted murder surrender after 2-hour standoff
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man and his wife were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after the man swung a machete at his brother and barricaded himself inside the couple's South Los Angeles home until early Monday morning.
According to authorities, the incident started as a landlord-tenant dispute between two brothers and their wives at outside an apartment on 57th Street and McKinley Avenue. The argument escalated when Marcos Ayala, 40, swung a machete at his brother, hitting him on the head.
Ayala then grabbed his own wife, identified as 32-year-old Yaysi Martinez, by the hair and pulled her into the apartment, prompting a two-hour standoff.
The suspect's brother suffered a head laceration and was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.
The couple's 7-year-old daughter and 12-year-old son were inside the home during the standoff. They were not hurt and were taken into protective custody after the suspects surrendered without incident shortly after midnight.
arrest, murder, standoff, lapd, los angeles news
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse 59 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 57 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts