Los Angeles News
9 big rigs crash, cause delays on Newhall Pass
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- Slick roads may be to blame for a massive pileup in the Newhall Pass on Tuesday. Nine big rigs were involved in an accident at the truck route.
The crash happened on the southbound 5 Freeway at the southbound 14 Freeway connector just after 3 a.m. It began with a dump truck that lost control and crashed, causing four big rigs to crash behind it.
Big rig driver Angel Flores said he only had seconds to react, as he drove out of the tunnel and saw four rigs piled up in front of him.
"Inside the bridge, there's lights, but when you come out, it's total darkness ... all of a sudden, whoa, there it is," he said.
Three big rigs were able to avoid getting into a pileup of their own, but behind those trucks were an additional five big rigs that collided, creating the second accident.
A driver was trapped for more than two hours in the cab of one of the trucks. He was extricated and taken to the hospital with major injuries, but was said to be in stable condition.
About 40 gallons of diesel fuel spilled in lanes. Official said it was not enough to cause significant concern for a hazmat situation, but it took several hours for crews to clean up the mess. The truck route reopened at about 4:15 p.m.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation. Authorities are trying to determine if speed and slick roads due to light rain contributed to the pileup.
An accident in the same tunnel in 2007 killed several drivers and shut down the roadway for a month.
Correction: It was earlier reported that hundreds of gallons of fuel spilled onto lanes.
accident, los angeles news, christina salvo
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure 13 min ago
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Echo Park apartment fire deemed suspicious 8 min ago
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- Mandela interpreter cites hallucinations
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West 4 min ago
- Klinsmann to remain as US coach through 2018
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach 23 min ago
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- 'The Butler' snubbed by Golden Globes
3 min ago