Los Angeles News
Hollywood crash injures 29; 17 hospitalized
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A semi set off a chain-reaction crash in Hollywood on Tuesday, injuring 29 people and sending 17 to the hospital.
The accident happened around 8 a.m. in the 7600 block of West Hollywood Boulevard. The semi truck was parked when it apparently lost its brakes and rolled out into oncoming traffic. It collided with a passenger bus carrying about 27 people going westbound down the street. The semi sent the bus crashing into a 1998 silver BMW sedan, injuring a woman and her passenger, a 10-year-old girl.
Los Angeles Fire Department crews had to extricate the woman from the vehicle. She was transported to a local hospital in serious condition. The girl was taken to Children's Hospital and was listed in fair condition.
The 27 bus passengers were also treated at the scene and 15 were eventually taken to the hospital with unknown injuries.
One of the bus passengers described the moment of the accident.
"I was in the middle and I stood up and I just see everyone fall off their seats," said Jose Castellanos. "Everyone was falling. I was the only one standing up holding on to the rail. There was screaming and I just hear a pop and all the windows just...I don't know. It was scary."
Police have closed off Hollywood Boulevard between Curson and Fairfax avenues and asked drivers to stay out of the area, which was expected to be closed for a few hours for an investigation.
accident, hollywood, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)