Los Angeles News
Donation funds set up for Inglewood family in fatal shooting
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- The Inglewood and Hawthorne police departments have each establish memorial funds to help a family who was targeted by a neighbor in a shooting rampage over the weekend.
Around 4 a.m. Saturday, Filimon Lamas, 30, and his 4-year-old son were shot to death in their Inglewood home. Lamas' wife, 28-year-old Gloria Jimenez, and two of their other children were also shot. They were recovering at the hospital. A fourth child was not hurt.
Detectives said they believe 55-year-old John Desmond Moses, who rented a back house on the same property as the family, shot the parents and children before setting fire to his own home, then fatally shooting himself in the head. A body found on the property was wearing body armor and holding a .38-caliber gun.
On Tuesday, the coroner positively identified the charred remains as those of Moses.
Also Tuesday, members of the Lamas and Jimenez family gathered outside the Hawthorne restaurant Lamas co-owned. The grieving family members shed tears and comforted one another as some shared stories about their slain relatives.
"What has happened to our family is inexplicable," said Carolina Jimenez. "We did not deserve to be hurt in such a manner. We are all devastated but forced to be strong because it is our only option."
Jaime Jimenez said his sister Gloria, from her hospital bed, spoke to him about the death of her husband and youngest son.
"'I'm so happy that he's not traveling in heaven alone,'" he quoted his sister. "She immediately looked up and added, 'They're smiling down at us.'"
The Inglewood Police Department has established a fund to assist the surviving members of the Lamas family. Donations can be made at:
ICE Federal Credit Union
One West Manchester Blvd, Suite 603
Inglewood, CA 90301
The Lamas Family Donation Fund: Account No. 5223
The Hawthorne Police Department also has a Jimenez/Lamas Donation Fund for the family. The department said donations can be made at any local Wells Fargo Bank branch, or by calling the Hawthorne Wells Fargo branch at (310) 973-6279. The account number is 4122412588.
shooting, standoff, fire, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam 29 min ago
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects 51 min ago
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget deal
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
6 min ago