Los Angeles News
Woman with cerebral palsy fights to stay in South Gate home
SOUTH GATE, Calif. (KABC) -- Ana Casas Wilson has cerebral palsy, and for the last four years, she has been fighting advanced breast cancer. Now, she's fighting to prevent Wells Fargo from evicting her family from the South Gate home she grew up in.
"I'm not asking for your charity or anybody else's," Wilson said. "I'm just asking to be treated equal."
She is fighting for a loan modification.
"I want to know why they won't take my money because we do qualify for a loan," Wilson said.
Wilson says she and her husband fell behind on the mortgage when she was diagnosed with cancer. She has made unsuccessful attempts to negotiate a permanent loan modification with the bank.
Wells Fargo says the family hasn't made a mortgage payment since 2008.
"Wells Fargo Home Mortgage has decided to proceed with the eviction of James and Ana Casas-Wilson given all retention options have been exhausted," the bank said in a statement. "We provided loan modifications on two occasions, and both offers were declined. We also have offered financial relocation assistance to help transition them to a new residence. Those offers were turned down."
Wilson was given notice that she could be evicted on Tuesday night. Supporters from the Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment have joined the fight.
Wilson went to the sheriff's department to appeal for authorities not to enforce the eviction. In a letter, her doctor says her cancer is terminal, and moving could impact her condition.
"Do you think that I want to go through this every year, every six months?" Wilson said.
Supporters say they're appealing to the South Gate City Council for help, and they plan to start a 24-hour vigil at the home.
cancer, housing market, los angeles news, amy powell
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 36 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 49 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry