Los Angeles News
Woman with cerebral palsy fights to stay in South Gate home
SOUTH GATE, Calif. (KABC) -- Ana Casas Wilson has cerebral palsy, and for the last four years, she has been fighting advanced breast cancer. Now, she's fighting to prevent Wells Fargo from evicting her family from the South Gate home she grew up in.
"I'm not asking for your charity or anybody else's," Wilson said. "I'm just asking to be treated equal."
She is fighting for a loan modification.
"I want to know why they won't take my money because we do qualify for a loan," Wilson said.
Wilson says she and her husband fell behind on the mortgage when she was diagnosed with cancer. She has made unsuccessful attempts to negotiate a permanent loan modification with the bank.
Wells Fargo says the family hasn't made a mortgage payment since 2008.
"Wells Fargo Home Mortgage has decided to proceed with the eviction of James and Ana Casas-Wilson given all retention options have been exhausted," the bank said in a statement. "We provided loan modifications on two occasions, and both offers were declined. We also have offered financial relocation assistance to help transition them to a new residence. Those offers were turned down."
Wilson was given notice that she could be evicted on Tuesday night. Supporters from the Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment have joined the fight.
Wilson went to the sheriff's department to appeal for authorities not to enforce the eviction. In a letter, her doctor says her cancer is terminal, and moving could impact her condition.
"Do you think that I want to go through this every year, every six months?" Wilson said.
Supporters say they're appealing to the South Gate City Council for help, and they plan to start a 24-hour vigil at the home.
cancer, housing market, los angeles news, amy powell
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money 48 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 10 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 11 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 9 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed 50 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...