Los Angeles News
East LA woman, 85, found tied up and murdered in her burglarized home
EAST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An East Los Angeles neighborhood is on high alert after an 85-year-old woman was killed and her home was ransacked. The woman's body was discovered Monday morning inside a house on Vancouver Avenue near Union Pacific Avenue.
Victoria Oleta was murdered inside her own home in what investigators say might have been a home-invasion robbery. Neighbors noticed that her side door had been left open and then they discovered that the 85-year-old had been tied up and her house ransacked.
Oleta was found dead in her bedroom. The investigation was ongoing. No suspects in the case were announced.
"Pretty obvious to us that it was a homicide," said L.A. County Sheriff's Lt. Dave Dolson. "Some neighbors noticed a door open in the house and they went in to check on the elderly lady who lives there and they discovered her deceased in the bedroom."
Neighbors on the quiet residential street on the southeastern edge of East L.A. are concerned.
Maria Perez lives next door to Oleta. She discovered Oleta's lifeless on top of her bed with her hands had been tied behind her back, and there were signs that she had been suffocated.
Perez called 911, and when investigators arrived, they found evidence that Oleta's home may have been burglarized.
Oleta lived alone. An autopsy was performed Tuesday, but results are pending.
Anyone with information on the case should contact the L.A. County Sheriff's Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.
east los angeles, robbery, murder, homicide investigation, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 26 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 37 min ago
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 7 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 44 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter