Los Angeles News
WeHo water main break creates giant sinkhole
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A water main break in West Hollywood created a giant sinkhole in the street and stopped water service to area residents.
The break was reported at about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday at Westbourne Drive and Santa Monica Boulevard. Water was spewing from asphalt crevasses, pouring directly into a sunken parking garage of a nearby apartment complex. Four parked cars were submerged and 20 apartments sustained water damage. Vehicle owners say in addition to their cars, their iPods, GPS devices, laptops and work documents were lost in the water.
Most of the water has since been drained from the street and parking lot and the water source has been shut off. However, the concern now is a sinkhole that has developed as a result of the break. Department of Water and Power crews say the hole is likely to be patched up by evening.
"We have an 8-inch water main leak. Looks like it has about a 9-foot split in the piece of pipe," said DWP worker Rick Butler.
Crews said they've taken out the broken pipe and are in the process of replacing it. Officials say the cause of the broken main was likely wear and tear; the lines were put into place in 1966.
Meantime, another water main broke around the same time Wednesday in Los Angeles. The 12-inch main broke on the 100 block of Beaudry Avenue. As a result, the northbound lane of Beaudry Avenue between First and Temple streets were closed to traffic. One apartment building was affected, but it remained unknown how many customers were without water after DWP shut off the water source.
water main break, west hollywood, road closure, road construction, los angeles news, christina salvo
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 50 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought 13 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite in Russia 15 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour