Los Angeles News
Shuttle Endeavour exhibit gives behind-the-scenes look at media sneak peek
EXPOSITION PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There's plenty of behind-the-scenes details on tap at the California Science Center's shuttle Endeavour exhibit.
The exhibit was open to the media for a preview on Thursday. It will be open to the public starting Oct. 30.
The "Endeavour: The California Story" exhibit is set up with a mission-control-like atmosphere with various items on display. For example, guests will be able to see and touch the actual tires from Endeavour's last flight. There's also a Pulseworks simulator ride to show you what it's like to go into orbit.
The exhibit also displays images of Endeavour under construction in Palmdale as well as artifacts that flew into space aboard the shuttle. An item that gets a lot of attention is Endeavour's toilet - which comes with an elaborate demonstration video.
Not only will you get to see the Endeavour, you'll get to explore the actual flight deck. The furnishings and equipment from the Rocketdyne Operational Support Center are also on display along with audio/visual sequences from actual launches.
California Science Center President Jeff Rudolph said the exhibit introduces people to Endeavour and delves into California's role in building Endeavour and other space shuttles.
Endeavour arrived at the California Science Center on Oct. 14 after a 12-mile trek through the streets of Los Angeles.
City News Service contributed to this report.
space shuttle, los angeles news, john gregory
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video