Los Angeles News
Firebomb suspect charged with felonies
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County District Attorney charged Jacob Lagarde Thursday with one count of attempted murder and five felony counts for throwing a Molotov cocktail at a man, setting him on fire.
Lagarde is accused of throwing a Molotov cocktail at a 54-year-old man sitting outside of a market on PCH in Long Beach on Friday, Oct. 19., just before 7 p.m. The victim was sitting outside the market waiting for his father inside. The resulting fire burned the victim on his hands and face and from the waist down. He was hospitalized in critical condition.
Lagarde was arrested Tuesday night. He is a known gang member who had previously served jail time for a drug offense, according to authorities. A motive for the firebomb attack was not determined. Long Beach Police said tips from the public led to Lagarde's arrest.
In addition to the attempted murder charge, Lagarde was also charged with one count of explosion with intent to murder, one count of explosion causing mayhem or great bodily injury and three arson counts. Lagarde is also alleged to have personally used a deadly and dangerous weapon and that he personally inflicted great bodily injury upon the victim.
Lagarde has four prior felony convictions, including robbery, grand theft and drug offenses, according to the D.A.
Lagarde faces a sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole if convicted of attempted murder.
Lagarde was scheduled to be arraigned Thursday afternoon but the arraignment was continued until November 8. The D.A.'s office will recommend bail be set at $1.2 million.
arrest, arson, los angeles news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- TSA expands Pre-Check screening program in LA 21 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point 30 min ago
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients 56 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds