Los Angeles News
Target car crash: 2 injured after driver plows into store
CANOGA PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two shoppers were injured when an elderly female driver plowed into a Target store in Canoga Park on Friday.
The accident happened around 5:30 p.m. Paramedics rushed to help the two injured customers and the 72-year-old driver after the vehicle slammed 50 to 60 feet through the store's rear metal emergency exit doors and went crashing into an electronics department display and the two customers.
A 29-year-old woman suffered serious head trauma and was listed in critical condition. A 56-year-old man suffered a hip injury.
"In looking at it, it is like threading a needle, but if you look at how the street is laid out, there is an intersection right before those doors where one can see how an individual can drive straight through and actually thread that needle and go through those doors," said Los Angeles City Fire Capt. Jaime Moore.
Investigators say the elderly female driver was coming down a parking garage off-ramp and drove straight through the doors, never hitting the brakes.
Her son, who didn't want to speak on-camera, says he believes his mother accidentally hit the gas instead.
Crews had to push the BMW out from inside the store. It was a startling sight for shoppers.
"The car is in there, there's stuff everywhere, there's tape everywhere, it's something not used to seeing when you go into a Target," said witness James Weiss of Chatsworth.
The car remained under investigation Friday night.
car crash, los angeles news, leanne suter
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 30 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43 35 min ago
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role