Los Angeles News
Target car crash: 2 injured after driver plows into store
CANOGA PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two shoppers were injured when an elderly female driver plowed into a Target store in Canoga Park on Friday.
The accident happened around 5:30 p.m. Paramedics rushed to help the two injured customers and the 72-year-old driver after the vehicle slammed 50 to 60 feet through the store's rear metal emergency exit doors and went crashing into an electronics department display and the two customers.
A 29-year-old woman suffered serious head trauma and was listed in critical condition. A 56-year-old man suffered a hip injury.
"In looking at it, it is like threading a needle, but if you look at how the street is laid out, there is an intersection right before those doors where one can see how an individual can drive straight through and actually thread that needle and go through those doors," said Los Angeles City Fire Capt. Jaime Moore.
Investigators say the elderly female driver was coming down a parking garage off-ramp and drove straight through the doors, never hitting the brakes.
Her son, who didn't want to speak on-camera, says he believes his mother accidentally hit the gas instead.
Crews had to push the BMW out from inside the store. It was a startling sight for shoppers.
"The car is in there, there's stuff everywhere, there's tape everywhere, it's something not used to seeing when you go into a Target," said witness James Weiss of Chatsworth.
The car remained under investigation Friday night.
car crash, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Echo Park apartment fire deemed suspicious
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill 30 min ago
- Klinsmann to remain as US coach through 2018 52 min ago
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Lea Michele talks about Cory Monteith (Video)