Los Angeles News
Whittier man fatally shot 2 months after father's shooting
WHITTIER, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is searching for the gunman who shot and killed a man in unincorporated Whittier.
Detectives say the victim, 48-year-old Joey Telles, was shot Friday around 8:30 p.m. on the 12000 block of Bonavista Lane. According to Sheriff's deputies, Telles was talking on the phone while standing in the front yard of his home when he was shot multiple times in the torso and pronounced dead at the scene.
Telles was gunned down almost two months to the day his 71-year-old father, Joseph Telles, was shot and killed outside his Whittier home on Placid Drive. According to authorities, Joseph Telles was shot on Aug. 24 while showing an SUV he was trying to sell to a potential buyer.
County supervisors offered a $10,000 reward in Joseph Telles case but his murder remains unsolved.
Family members say they have no idea why either of them were murdered and are pleading for the public's help.
"Somebody had to see something," said the victim's cousin Georgi Ortega. "Please help our family find this person, these people who have done this injustice to our family by taking his father and then him. There's no reason for it."
Investigators found a handgun on Joey Telles, but no other details are being released. According to neighbors, Telles owned a handgun to protect his mother who also lived in the home on Bonavista Lane.
So far, investigators have not determined a motive as to why the father and son were targeted.
Telles leaves behind a wife and four children.
Anyone with any information on either murder is urged to call Los Angeles County Sheriff's Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.
shooting, homicide investigation, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Wrong-way driver causes 8-car pileup on 14 Fwy
- South LA chase ends with crash, standoff
- Passenger rants about poison, CIA on plane
- West Hills murder suspect caught in motel room
- 911 caller in Pasadena shooting pleads guilty 33 min ago
- Motorcycle fleeing police crashes; 2 dead
- IE man dies after being crushed by cows
- Dog goes missing from Norco grooming shop
- Jimmy Hoffa search: FBI looks at MI field
- abcnews: Victim's grandson welcomes release of killer
- G8 meeting: Divisions over Syrian civil war
- Yoga may help kids' mental, physical health
- Jackson trial: Former record exec testifies
- OTRC: 'Girl Meets World' getting full series