Los Angeles News
Crews installing 40-ton 'Bridge over Sunset' at Children's Hospital Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (KABC) -- A 40-ton, 117-foot-long walkway bridge is being bolted into place above Sunset Boulevard between Vermont Avenue and Rodney Drive.
The $9 million steel bridge structure will connect the Children's Hospital Los Angeles' two main campuses, the Anderson Pavilion and the Saban Research Institute.
Crews lifted the 40-ton bridge onto trailers Friday night to tow it three-tenths of a mile to the site, where it was hoisted onto two steel tower supports.
Traffic is being rerouted around affected streets.
The hospital remains open.
The "Bridge Over Sunset" walkway is scheduled to open to hospital staff, patients, and their families in February 2013.
construction, los angeles news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break