Los Angeles News
Cal Poly Pomona armed dorm robbery startles campus
POMONA, Calif. (KABC) -- Fliers are up around the Cal Poly Pomona campus warning students about an armed robber.
Police say the suspect walked into Alamitos Hall on Thursday night and targeted a student in his dorm room.
"He had left the door open and the suspect walked in, brandished a gun and then demanded his belongings. He had also briefly bound the student," said Cal Poly Pomona Spokesperson Uyen Mai.
The suspect stole a computer and other personal items. He is described as a black man in his mid-20s, 6 feet 2 inches tall with a medium build, short hair and an unshaven face.
Police say the description is similar to that of a suspect who robbed two students in parking lot B on the campus last Sunday night. In that case, the suspect lifted up his shirt to reveal a gun in his waistband.
"It's really close to where we are and it's on campus, so I guess I'm a little scared now," said student Melanie Jackson.
According to student Spencer Keller, who lives in Alamitos Hall, a key is required to enter the building. But he says the suspect could have easily followed other students inside.
Campus police are stepping up patrols and Cal Poly is encouraging students to report any suspicious activity, use the buddy system and to be alert.
Cal Poly wants anyone with information on the suspect to contact University Police at (909) 869-3070.
robbery, school, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway 14 min ago
- DUI driver hits sign, car and pedestrian
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Alcohol sting busts adults buying for minors
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- High turnout seen at secession vote in Crimea
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria 31 min ago
- Tyler The Creator arrested at SXSW festival
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report