Los Angeles News
Shuttle Endeavour exhibit opens at California Science Center
EXPOSITION PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- After a glorious final flight over Southern California and a tedious trek through the streets of Los Angeles, the space shuttle Endeavour was finally ready for the grand opening of its exhibit Tuesday at the California Science Center.
"The highlight is to see Endeavour, and this is a really great chance to see it up close and personal," said Jeffery Rudolph, president and CEO of the California Science Center. "To walk underneath the wings, to look at it in detail. But in addition we have a number of other exhibits that help understand Endeavour, how it works, how it functions in space."
The long-awaited exhibit opened to the public at 10 a.m., complete with a crowd of astronauts, elected officials and school children eager to experience Endeavour.
The exhibit features two main galleries. First, the story of California's aerospace industry and shuttle program is told to visitors through video, pictures and artifacts like Endeavour's toilet, kitchen and old shuttle tires.
Then, the main attraction -- the 122-foot long Endeavour can't be missed in the 18,000-square-foot Samuel Oschin Pavilion. For now, the orbiter will be on display horizontally, allowing visitors to see one of shuttle's main engines, an external fuel tank and twin rocket boosters.
Eventually, Endeavour it will be displayed vertically, but the Science Center must first raise about $200,000,000 to build a new structure large enough to permanently display the shuttle upright.
The museum is expecting a high volume of visitors to the exhibit. They are encouraging people to call or visit their website to reserve tickets in advance.
space shuttle, los angeles news, christina salvo
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 1 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Two men arrested in Simi Valley car thefts 14 min ago
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case 48 min ago
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Unsolved murder mystery revealed in doc
53 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
41 min ago