Los Angeles News
Shuttle Endeavour exhibit opens at California Science Center
EXPOSITION PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- After a glorious final flight over Southern California and a tedious trek through the streets of Los Angeles, the space shuttle Endeavour was finally ready for the grand opening of its exhibit Tuesday at the California Science Center.
"The highlight is to see Endeavour, and this is a really great chance to see it up close and personal," said Jeffery Rudolph, president and CEO of the California Science Center. "To walk underneath the wings, to look at it in detail. But in addition we have a number of other exhibits that help understand Endeavour, how it works, how it functions in space."
The long-awaited exhibit opened to the public at 10 a.m., complete with a crowd of astronauts, elected officials and school children eager to experience Endeavour.
The exhibit features two main galleries. First, the story of California's aerospace industry and shuttle program is told to visitors through video, pictures and artifacts like Endeavour's toilet, kitchen and old shuttle tires.
Then, the main attraction -- the 122-foot long Endeavour can't be missed in the 18,000-square-foot Samuel Oschin Pavilion. For now, the orbiter will be on display horizontally, allowing visitors to see one of shuttle's main engines, an external fuel tank and twin rocket boosters.
Eventually, Endeavour it will be displayed vertically, but the Science Center must first raise about $200,000,000 to build a new structure large enough to permanently display the shuttle upright.
The museum is expecting a high volume of visitors to the exhibit. They are encouraging people to call or visit their website to reserve tickets in advance.
space shuttle, los angeles news, christina salvo
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway 45 min ago
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Bratton picked as NYPD commissioner again
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Beyonce posts bikini pics, goes on vegan diet
- Holiday headaches triggers to watch out for
20 min ago