Los Angeles News
Halloween safety tips for trick or treaters
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Halloween is a fun time for kids, and for good reason, but it can also be a dangerous time. Authorities are reminding the public of some simple safety tips.
Police tell children not to trick or treat alone, bring a flashlight and don't accept unwrapped candy.
"I have to carry a flashlight with me to make sure nothing happens, and when I cross the street, I'm going to be sure to have an adult with me," said Estaphanie Raya
Alex Perez said he'll be watching out for cars and other people when he goes trick or treating.
Parents also take the warning to heart.
"Definitely going fairly early, making sure we have a flashlight, making sure that we're crossing the street the right way," said parent Anita Gonzalez.
A lot of the worries haven't changed over the years, but one growing concern for parents is distracted drivers, like people on cellphones or texting.
"We are enforcing that more and more," said LAPD Capt. Jeffrey Bert. "It's one of the more ridiculous things a driver can do right now, knowing what we know and how distracted driving can lead to such horrific accidents."
Drinking and driving is the other worry for police, and they promise they will be on the lookout for those violating the law.
"There is no costume, there is no mask that's going to hide drunk driving from us," Bert said.
The warnings aren't new, but they are always important and more relevant than ever for kids and their parents as the witching hour approaches.
holiday, los angeles news
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 37 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 1 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 37 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'