Los Angeles News
Halloween safety tips for trick or treaters
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Halloween is a fun time for kids, and for good reason, but it can also be a dangerous time. Authorities are reminding the public of some simple safety tips.
Police tell children not to trick or treat alone, bring a flashlight and don't accept unwrapped candy.
"I have to carry a flashlight with me to make sure nothing happens, and when I cross the street, I'm going to be sure to have an adult with me," said Estaphanie Raya
Alex Perez said he'll be watching out for cars and other people when he goes trick or treating.
Parents also take the warning to heart.
"Definitely going fairly early, making sure we have a flashlight, making sure that we're crossing the street the right way," said parent Anita Gonzalez.
A lot of the worries haven't changed over the years, but one growing concern for parents is distracted drivers, like people on cellphones or texting.
"We are enforcing that more and more," said LAPD Capt. Jeffrey Bert. "It's one of the more ridiculous things a driver can do right now, knowing what we know and how distracted driving can lead to such horrific accidents."
Drinking and driving is the other worry for police, and they promise they will be on the lookout for those violating the law.
"There is no costume, there is no mask that's going to hide drunk driving from us," Bert said.
The warnings aren't new, but they are always important and more relevant than ever for kids and their parents as the witching hour approaches.
holiday, los angeles news
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10
- Election Day: Race for Los Angeles mayor
21 min ago