Los Angeles News
Irwindale hit-and-run driver kills elderly woman
IRWINDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A search is under way for a hit-and-run driver who killed an elderly woman crossing the street in Irwindale Friday morning.
The incident happened just before 6 a.m. as the 80-year-old victim, Cu Lee Nguyen of Baldwin Park, and her husband were crossing the street at Live Oak and Stewart avenues to get to a bus stop, according to authorities.
The husband was walking ahead and reached the sidewalk first. Officials said when he turned around, his wife was gone. The impact threw the woman 40 feet away from the crosswalk. The driver did not stop.
Police are canvassing the area for the vehicle and the driver, who is believed to be a woman. According to a lieutenant, there are witness reports and surveillance video that suggest the 80-year-old Baldwin Park resident may have been crossing the street against the red light. If that's the case, the driver may not be at fault, but may likely face charges for leaving the scene of the accident.
"We would ask them to do the right thing, come in, talk to us, to make sure that we hear their side of the story and just fully investigate this completely," said Detective Sgt. George Zendejas with Irwindale police.
The vehicle involved in the crash was described as an early-2000s-model gray Toyota Echo. It should have significant front-end damage and a crack on the windshield.
Anyone with information was asked to call Irwindale police at (626) 962-3601 or at (626) 430-2244.
hit and run, los angeles news
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital 56 min ago
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 22 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 20 min ago
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 20 min ago
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert 18 min ago
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks