Los Angeles News
Irwindale hit-and-run driver kills elderly woman
IRWINDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A search is under way for a hit-and-run driver who killed an elderly woman crossing the street in Irwindale Friday morning.
The incident happened just before 6 a.m. as the 80-year-old victim, Cu Lee Nguyen of Baldwin Park, and her husband were crossing the street at Live Oak and Stewart avenues to get to a bus stop, according to authorities.
The husband was walking ahead and reached the sidewalk first. Officials said when he turned around, his wife was gone. The impact threw the woman 40 feet away from the crosswalk. The driver did not stop.
Police are canvassing the area for the vehicle and the driver, who is believed to be a woman. According to a lieutenant, there are witness reports and surveillance video that suggest the 80-year-old Baldwin Park resident may have been crossing the street against the red light. If that's the case, the driver may not be at fault, but may likely face charges for leaving the scene of the accident.
"We would ask them to do the right thing, come in, talk to us, to make sure that we hear their side of the story and just fully investigate this completely," said Detective Sgt. George Zendejas with Irwindale police.
The vehicle involved in the crash was described as an early-2000s-model gray Toyota Echo. It should have significant front-end damage and a crack on the windshield.
Anyone with information was asked to call Irwindale police at (626) 962-3601 or at (626) 430-2244.
hit and run, los angeles news
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale 58 min ago
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Suspect killed in Alhambra PD station ID'ed 19 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Damaged trains being removed from Conn. site
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge