Los Angeles News
Man arrested for fatal fire in Pasadena group home
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Pasadena police confirmed on Friday that a man was arrested in connection with Thursday's fire in a group home that left two people dead.
Garth Allen Robbins, 49, was taken into custody at 5:42 a.m. Friday at a Pasadena restaurant. He was booked into the Pasadena City Jail on charges of arson and murder. He is being held without bail.
The fire broke out just after 2 a.m. on the 1300 block of El Sereno Avenue. By the time firefighters arrived at the scene, at least 16 residents were already outside of the home. When fire crews went inside, they found the bodies of two men: a man in his 70s and a man in his 50s. A 65-year-old man was hospitalized in serious condition.
Word of Friday's arrest spread quickly. People who live in the home were stunned to learn the person in custody was a fellow tenant.
"I thought he had peculiar ways," said resident Leonardo de Vlugt.
Residents say Robbins lived in the front room of the building. Police say they found evidence Robbins set the fire in his room. Even though residents are saying Robbins set off a bomb, investigators aren't saying if an explosive started the fire.
"The fire appeared suspicious in nature. The arson investigators eventually led us to the room of a suspect that we arrested this morning and it looked like that was the origin of the fire," said Pasadena Lt. Diego Torres.
On Thursday, the building manager told Eyewitness News that residents heard an explosion.
"They say someone set off a bomb in the front and from there it just went up in flames," said group home manager Josh Broussard. He had no comment Friday after learning the suspect was a resident.
Pamela Clark, however, is talking. She says her husband, Cliff Clark, was one of the victims, and she was hoping to get some answers.
"I'm glad they arrested somebody because I was going to stay on it, and I wanted whoever did it to come to justice, I want it done," she said.
pasadena, fire, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Viewing to be held for LA police officer 1 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 51 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
32 min ago