Los Angeles News
Rosemead High School ex-wrestling coach arrested, accused of sexually assaulting boy
ROSEMEAD, Calif. (KABC) -- A Rosemead High School coach suspected of sexually assaulting a teenage boy was caught in Mexico.
Herbert Ortiz, 29, was taken into custody at a U.S. Consulate office in Mexico while trying to obtain a visa to Guatemala. He was brought back to the U.S. on Tuesday and was arrested at LAX. Sheriff's detectives were searching for him since September.
Ortiz, a former assistant wrestling coach at Rosemead High School, is accused of sexually abusing at least two boys. He was also an instructor for the Bad News Panthers Children's Wrestling Club. The abuse was disclosed by the victim after his mother saw a YouTube video, in which a man alleged he was also abused by Ortiz and warned Rosemead parents.
Investigators believe Ortiz fled the U.S. to avoid prosecution. He was booked for the arrest warrant charging lewd acts upon a minor with bail set at $215,000.
Police believe there could be more victims. If you have any information that could help investigators, you're urged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Special Victims Bureau at (877) 710-5273.
school, sexual assault, arrest, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 7 min ago
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash 28 min ago
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role