Los Angeles News
Bank robbery suspect shot, killed by deputies after Lancaster chase
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- A bank robbery suspect was shot and killed by deputies after a high-speed chase up the 14 Freeway.
Authorities say the suspect robbed a Bank of America at gunpoint in the Saugus area of Santa Clarita at about 9:15 a.m. He then sped away in an SUV, racing up the 14 Freeway toward the Antelope Valley.
Officials eventually used a spike strip to slow the suspect down. One front tire on the SUV was punctured, and the suspect pulled off an exit in Lancaster, where patrol cars cornered him in a cul-de-sac near Desert Spring and Yarrow drives.
According to Capt. Mike Parker with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the suspect exited the SUV but did not heed deputies' orders to show his hands. The suspect remained close behind the vehicle before getting back inside the car.
This is when a deputy-involved shooting occurred. Parker said the suspect is believed to have fired shots at the deputies first before the deputies returned fire, but that remains under investigation. Parker said the suspect was killed in the shooting. His identity was not immediately released.
The number of shots fired by deputies was not immediately known. The shooting investigation is ongoing.
antelope valley, car chase, pursuit, bank robbery, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 29 min ago
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case 37 min ago
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
33 min ago