Los Angeles News
Bank robbery suspect shot, killed by deputies after Lancaster chase
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- A bank robbery suspect was shot and killed by deputies after a high-speed chase up the 14 Freeway.
Authorities say the suspect robbed a Bank of America at gunpoint in the Saugus area of Santa Clarita at about 9:15 a.m. He then sped away in an SUV, racing up the 14 Freeway toward the Antelope Valley.
Officials eventually used a spike strip to slow the suspect down. One front tire on the SUV was punctured, and the suspect pulled off an exit in Lancaster, where patrol cars cornered him in a cul-de-sac near Desert Spring and Yarrow drives.
According to Capt. Mike Parker with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the suspect exited the SUV but did not heed deputies' orders to show his hands. The suspect remained close behind the vehicle before getting back inside the car.
This is when a deputy-involved shooting occurred. Parker said the suspect is believed to have fired shots at the deputies first before the deputies returned fire, but that remains under investigation. Parker said the suspect was killed in the shooting. His identity was not immediately released.
The number of shots fired by deputies was not immediately known. The shooting investigation is ongoing.
antelope valley, car chase, pursuit, bank robbery, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon 21 min ago
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists'
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 24 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants