Los Angeles News
Graffiti-removal worker arrested for 'tagging' to create work
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- An unusual graffiti arrest in Burbank: A man working for a graffiti removal company is accused of making his own graffiti, then cleaning it up on the job.
Graffiti can be an eyesore for communities. No one wants a permanent reminder of vandalism, so cities like Burbank contract out to companies to paint over unwanted graffiti. That's what 53-year-old Enrique Medrano's job was.
But Burbank Police say he was illegally working overtime by tagging his own graffiti, then charging to paint over it.
Police say most of Medrano's tagging happened in public parks like Valley Park. He would tag benches and restrooms and walls. In all, he's accused of tagging more than 100 times.
His own company actually discovered what he was doing thanks to a smartphone app they developed. In trying to track him down, they realized his numbers didn't quite add up.
That company, Graffiti Protective Coatings Inc. told Eyewitness News in a statement: "As soon as we learned of the situation, we took immediate action, terminated his employment, we will ensure that the city of Burbank and its residents will not have to pay any of the costs associated with his actions."
Medrano didn't answer at his North Hollywood apartment Friday. He was booked on charges of burglary, vandalism, and forgery.
arrest, vandalism, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 44 min ago
- Rain, winds move into Southern California 8 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point