Los Angeles News
Covina Rotary Club's Field of Valor honors veterans
COVINA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Covina Rotary Club is honoring our nation's troops throughout the Veteran's Day weekend with its Field of Valor at Sierra Vista Middle School in Covina.
The tribute is an emotional sight for many. There are 2,001 flags in honor of America's veterans. Each flag represents a story of service. It's the ones with the black ribbons marking those killed in action that hit the heart the hardest.
"My son right now is in Texas for deployment training," said visitor Mona Skinner, an Air Force mother. "It's heart wrenching as a mom."
Visitors can adopt a flag for $35 in honor of a service member. All of the money will go to helping military members and their families in the east San Gabriel Valley.
"We need to support the people that are protecting us," said Wayne Partee of the Covina Rotary Club. "We need to give back to some people that have given their lives, some people that are deployed and not functioning well, the families need help."
This is the first year for the Covina Rotary Club's Field of Valor, and based on the overwhelming response, they said it won't be the last.
The Field of Valor will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday. At 10:30 a.m., there will be an Air Force fly over.
u.s. troops, u.s. military, veterans, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 7 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 36 min ago
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 43 min ago