Los Angeles News
Elderly man dies following MTA bus attack
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An elderly man died Saturday three weeks after he was brutally beaten on an MTA bus near Culver City.
Homicide detectives are now trying to determine if the injuries 89-year-old David Martinez sustained in the attack led to his death.
His accused attacker, 35-year-old Luke Schoedel, was arrested on felony assault and elder abuse charges at the scene of the attack near Venice Boulevard and Main Street on Oct. 21. He remained jailed in lieu of $80,000 bail.
Martinez was treated at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after the alleged attack, but left the hospital. He checked himself back in to Cedars-Sinai last Tuesday, and died at 5:30 a.m. Saturday.
Detectives were not sure if the assault or the victim's advanced age led to his death. If it was the attack, Schoedel could be charged with murder.
The elderly attack is one of two recent assaults reported on MTA buses near Culver City.
Kerry Trotter, 20, was arrested last week after he allegedly stalked and raped an 18-year-old mentally disabled woman. He is expected to be arraigned Wednesday.
sex crimes, sexual assault, los angeles news
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- Cold front moving across Southern California 33 min ago
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Ventura growers protect crops from freezing
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film