Los Angeles News
Elderly man dies following MTA bus attack
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An elderly man died Saturday three weeks after he was brutally beaten on an MTA bus near Culver City.
Homicide detectives are now trying to determine if the injuries 89-year-old David Martinez sustained in the attack led to his death.
His accused attacker, 35-year-old Luke Schoedel, was arrested on felony assault and elder abuse charges at the scene of the attack near Venice Boulevard and Main Street on Oct. 21. He remained jailed in lieu of $80,000 bail.
Martinez was treated at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after the alleged attack, but left the hospital. He checked himself back in to Cedars-Sinai last Tuesday, and died at 5:30 a.m. Saturday.
Detectives were not sure if the assault or the victim's advanced age led to his death. If it was the attack, Schoedel could be charged with murder.
The elderly attack is one of two recent assaults reported on MTA buses near Culver City.
Kerry Trotter, 20, was arrested last week after he allegedly stalked and raped an 18-year-old mentally disabled woman. He is expected to be arraigned Wednesday.
sex crimes, sexual assault, los angeles news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks