Los Angeles News
Elderly man dies following MTA bus attack
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An elderly man died Saturday three weeks after he was brutally beaten on an MTA bus near Culver City.
Homicide detectives are now trying to determine if the injuries 89-year-old David Martinez sustained in the attack led to his death.
His accused attacker, 35-year-old Luke Schoedel, was arrested on felony assault and elder abuse charges at the scene of the attack near Venice Boulevard and Main Street on Oct. 21. He remained jailed in lieu of $80,000 bail.
Martinez was treated at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after the alleged attack, but left the hospital. He checked himself back in to Cedars-Sinai last Tuesday, and died at 5:30 a.m. Saturday.
Detectives were not sure if the assault or the victim's advanced age led to his death. If it was the attack, Schoedel could be charged with murder.
The elderly attack is one of two recent assaults reported on MTA buses near Culver City.
Kerry Trotter, 20, was arrested last week after he allegedly stalked and raped an 18-year-old mentally disabled woman. He is expected to be arraigned Wednesday.
sex crimes, sexual assault, los angeles news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 47 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 35 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal 53 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis