Los Angeles News
Volunteers pitch in to fix up VA veterans home in West Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Many people used their day off on Veterans Day to volunteer to help improve the VA veterans home in West Los Angeles.
More than 350,000 veterans call Los Angeles home. More than 100 of those vets live at the Veterans Home of California in West Los Angeles. That's also where dozens of volunteers helped with improvements such as planting trees and working on activity rooms on Monday.
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa praised the veterans and the volunteers.
"The best way for us to honor them when they've sacrificed, when they've gone to war, when they've served the country, is to make sure that they have the services, to make sure that they have the housing," said Villaraigosa.
As the United States brings home the men and women who fought in Afghanistan and Iraq, the need for services increases. The returning vets need medical attention and jobs.
"We all realize it's going to take a community to reach out to those veterans and help them transition," said retired Army Brigadier General Robin Umberg, deputy secretary with the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet).
"The resources, I believe, are there. The resources are there. It is, 'How can we connect them specifically to each veteran?'" said Umberg.
Sprucing up the Veterans Administration buildings and grounds is one way volunteers rolled out the welcome mat to make the vets' transition a little easier.
"America has over the years sent our men and women to war and then when they come back we've not made enough investments in making sure that they transition, that they have the housing and the jobs that they need," said Villaraigosa.
holiday, west los angeles, antonio villaraigosa, los angeles news, john north
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 56 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 2 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 44 min ago
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
9 min ago