Los Angeles News
Local decorated soldier, Army Staff Sgt. Wade Bennett, killed in Afghanistan
GLENDORA, Calif. (KABC) -- A local soldier on his third combat tour in Afghanistan has been killed in the line of duty.
Army Staff Sgt. Wade Bennett was deployed for his last mission there in September. A few weeks before he was called up, his family and friends gathered at his parents' home in Glendora for a party.
"I asked him about going back and I said, 'Do you want to go back again Wade?' And he said, 'If they tell me to go back, it's what I do,' and that's the kind of guy he was," said Bob Jennings, a family friend.
Wade was a soldier trained to disable the enemy's lethal handmade bombs, much like the main character in the movie "The Hurt Locker." But on Saturday, Bennett was killed by an improvised explosive device, or IED.
Bennett, who was based at joint base Lewis-McChord in Washington state, was awarded numerous medals for his service.
Kathleen Gonzales volunteers with Project Glendora Yellow Ribbon along with Bennett's mother. They raise money to hang banners of all the local service men and women in their community. She heard the news from a family friend.
"I came over and gave Nancy a hug and she asked that we go to the Field of Valor and put flowers by his flag," Gonzales said.
On Monday, Bennett's banner was placed along a Glendora street, and there was one outside his family home, paying tribute to a young man who was a son, husband and father with another child on the way.
In the midst of the tragedy, the tight-knit community came together to pay their respects to a fallen soldier and reminded his family that he did not die in vain.
"These men and women are out there fighting everyday and working to save our country and give us freedom," said neighbor Matt Zern.
"Wade's a hero," Jennings added as his eyes dampened. "Here comes the crying part, because he'll always be our hero."
afghanistan war, u.s. military, u.s. troops, los angeles news, leslie miller
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 56 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 24 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 33 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 45 min ago
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks