Los Angeles News
LAUSD furlough days rescinded, thanks to Prop 30
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- LAUSD's Board of Education rescinded all furlough days for the 2012-13 school year, thanks to voter-approved Proposition 30.
The move came at the request of LAUSD Superintendent John Deasy. The board also restored the district's 180-day school year.
"Most everybody had taken huge cuts in pay on top of furloughs, so the ability to have a whole school year is a very big deal," Deasy said at the district's downtown headquarters.
United Teachers Los Angeles President Warren Fletcher says LAUSD students could have lost as many as 20 school days, creating the shortest school year in the country.
There are five additional student days that are being added as a result of the school board today and we're very happy to be working with the school board to make that a reality, and to make a full year possible for every kid," Fletcher said.
Revenue generated by Proposition 30 will now be deposited into the state's newly created education protection account. Of those funds, 89 percent will be devoted to K-12 schools, and the other 11 percent goes to community colleges.
Employees had been set to take 10 furlough days during the school year.
Outside the school board's meeting Tuesday, hundreds of protesters packed the street. At issue was a board motion to enact stricter oversight of charter schools in L.A. Opponents say it would also slow the process of approving new charter schools.
education, budget, lausd, los angeles news, rob hayes
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Crimea declares independence; West hits back 15 min ago
- Burbank couple rescues child with mattress 40 min ago
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Newport Beach Little League suspension lifted
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- Malaysian plane search expands further 43 min ago
- abcnews: Woman says Scientology tore apart her family 47 min ago
- SEALs take oil tanker from Libyan rebels
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- OTRC: 'The Walking Dead' recap: Season 4, ep 14