Los Angeles News
Female suspect charged in church graffiti shootings
WESTLAKE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A female suspected gang member was charged Tuesday in the shooting of two men outside a church in a graffiti-tagging incident.
Janeth Lopez, 22, was charged with murder, attempted murder and vandalism for her part in the fatal shooting of Andres Ordonez and the wounding of another man outside a church in the Westlake District.
Lopez was allegedly spray-painting on a wall of the Iglesia de Paz church at 3001 W. Beverly Blvd. on Sunday, Nov. 4, at about 6:30 p.m. A church service was in session.
Two men in the church came outside to stop the spray-painting. A suspected gang member then got out of a car on the curb and shot at the men. He killed Ordonez, 25, and wounded a second man. A third man was not hit.
Janeth Lopez then allegedly jumped in the car with the shooting suspect and they drove away.
"There has been an arrest made in conjunction with the Rampart area homicide at the church," said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck Tuesday. "At this point we are still looking for other people that were involved, but we do have one person in custody."
Lopez's charges include one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder, a misdemeanor count of vandalism, and gun and gang allegations.
Lopez pleaded not guilty Tuesday. She was held on $2.5 million bond. She's due back in court in December. If convicted, Lopez faces up to life in prison.
The incident remained under investigation by Los Angeles Police.
If you have information related to the crime, contact the Los Angeles Police Dept. at (877) LAPD-24-7.
shooting, murder, homicide investigation, vandalism, arrest, los angeles news
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years 55 min ago
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video