Los Angeles News
LA County courthouses to close due to massive budget shortfall
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Nearly a dozen courthouses in Los Angeles County could be forced to close in the coming months. It's all due to a massive budget shortfall that could lead to a number of layoffs and delays throughout the court system.
The Los Angeles Superior Court has to slash $80 million from its budget. State funding is coming up short, putting jobs in jeopardy.
Some lawyers say cases are already back-logged within the Los Angeles County court system, and they can't imagine things getting any worse.
"As an attorney, I look at getting a trial date in excess of over a year. What that does is, it causes problems with the litigants actually getting to trial and having their cases evaluated," said lawyer Britton Galang.
Affected courthouses include: Beverly Hills, Huntington Park, Whittier, Pomona North, Malibu, West Los Angeles, San Pedro, the Beacon Street location in Long Beach, Catalina and Canyon Juvenile Justice Facility.
The plan is to close all the courtrooms in these 10 regional courthouses. The courthouses themselves, however, will remain open for matters such as paying traffic tickets.According to court officials, not only will the closures delay trials and cause longer lines, but cases will be reassigned to other court houses as much as 35 miles away.
The last time the Los Angeles Superior Court made cuts like these, there were major protests. More than 300 people were laid off in 2010, and 150 this past June.
The current wave of closures and layoffs is expected to happen before June 2013.
los angeles news, q mccray
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)