Los Angeles News
California Supreme Court: Westside Expo rail project to continue
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The California Supreme Court denied a motion late Wednesday to stop construction on Phase 2 of the Expo Project, a rail-connectivity construction project in West Los Angeles.
The motion to stop the construction was brought by Neighbors For Smart Rail (NFSR), a group of homeowners. NFSR has lost challenges in L.A. County Superior Court, the California Appellate Court and now the California Supreme Court.
Construction work on the $1.5 billion project is already underway along the entire Phase 2 corridor, including construction of multiple bridges and major structural elements, according to the Exposition Construction Authority.
"This decision preserves thousands of direct and indirect jobs just when our local economy is slowly starting to recover," said Expo Board Chair and Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky. "At the same time, it keeps our efforts to build a modern transit system on-track."
The project began construction in spring of this year. Phase 2 construction is expected to be completed in late 2015, according to the Authority.
"We're continuing to make significant progress in extending light rail from Culver City to Santa Monica and look forward to bringing congestion relief to the Westside," said Expo Construction Authority CEO Rick Thorpe.
west los angeles, westside, los angeles news
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 14 min ago
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks